A Reverse Chronology
Marseille is over in a flash: fleeting days in the sun, days a mere handbreadth, mere phantoms in the sun. To paraphrase Sir Sherard Cowper-Coles, we’ve zigged our way through the zaggers. Our last place of discovery is an historic building in Vieux Port. We’re taking a moment to rewind the years and decades and centuries.
- 2019: Lavender’s Blue descend on St Ferréol Church.
- 1979: A statue of the Holy Family by Yves Le Pape is added to the third chapel on the right.
- 1875: The façade is rebuilt, incorporating a statue of the Immaculate Conception, as part of the construction of the Rue de la République.
- 1844: Augustin Zeiger builds and installs the gothic style organ.
- 1801: The façade and first bay of the church are demolished to make way for road widening.
- 1800s: The Jesuits take over the running of the church.
- 1700s: The multicoloured marble altar is installed.
- 1700s: The bell tower is erected.
- 1600: A bust of the Patron Saint is placed in the third chapel on the left.
- 1588: The vault is completed.
- 1564: The tomb of the Mazenod family is established in the third chapel on the left.
- 1542: The Augustinian church is dedicated on 15 January.
- 1379: The building is transferred to Augustinian monks.
- 1100s: Knights Templar erect a building on the current site.
- 200s: St Ferréol is martyred for refusing to offer a sacrifice to idols